attending the meeting of creditors

Within 30 to 45 days from the bankruptcy case filing, the court would set a date for the meeting of creditors to be held at the U.S. Trustee's Office at 1961 Stout St., 16th Floor, Room A, Denver or at the nearest federal building in your county of residence.

Although creditors have the option of attending these meetings, they rarely do. In turn, the respective bankruptcy trustee would still hold the meeting but only for the purpose of confirming the information already disclosed in the bankruptcy petition and schedules. 

Please note that you will be required to bring certain documents to the meeting of creditors (see below). Failure to bring these documents will result in rescheduling of your meeting of creditors and/or dismissal of your case.

  • Picture ID and original social security card (if the card cannot be located, you may use any of the following: W-2, 1099, Medicare card, or military card).
  • Completed trustee information sheet.
  • Bank statement covering the period 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after you filed bankruptcy.
  • Two paycheck stubs (the paycheck you received before you filed bankruptcy and the one you received right after you filed).
  • If garnished, you must bring a copy of the garnishment writ for the garnishment that was ongoing at the time you filed bankruptcy (garnishment writ is the court order that authorized the wage garnishment).
  • If you recently prepared and filed your tax returns, you must bring a copy of the returns as our office may not have had them at the time your case was filed.

In some asset cases, the bankruptcy trustee may request 25% of the unpaid wages that were owed to you on the date of your bankruptcy filing along with 25% of your bank account balance on that same date. Should the trustee make such a request, you may be allowed up to 4 months to repay the trustee.

Asset cases involve the collection of pre-petition garnishments in excess of $600 and/or the collection of large non-exempt tax refunds, meaning tax refunds that are not the product of earned income credit and additional child tax credit.